Friday, May 4, 2012

Gemutlichkeit

Gemutlichkeit-is a German word that can not be translated in any language around the world. My oma described it as that at home feeling one has when they are very comfortable in their surroundings. As we were walking around the city tonight she used it to describe everyone's attitudes. 


We had a very eventful day! Ive seen a lot of Dortmund already on the first day!


Breakfast included three different kinds of bread, a cold cut selection, cheeses, and by special request NUTELLA! We also all had several cups of coffee to get us ready for the day. 


We are headed out on the town to do some shopping! We are staying right in the middle of Dortmund so everything is in walking distance.
The town is getting ready for the big game tomorrow! There are vendors everywhere, selling team wear and cheering on the game tomorrow!


The ferris wheel is in town for the festivities as well! The church located in the back ground is the one my grandmother was baptized in. It is beautiful inside and out! 




Yum! For lunch I had Frikadellen and fries. Ketchup comes on the fries and tastes nothing like Americas ketchup! I guess the closest thing would be ketchup mixed with polynesian sauce from Chick-fil-a (which i miss already!)
We had guests over for an afternoon dessert. Coffee and bienenstich!


Throughout the day I have improved on my German! I can pick up a phrase every now and then, but my go to phrase is always "das ist schon" meaning that is nice! 






After dinner we heard live music coming from down the street, so of course we had to go check it out! I still have to figure out my camera's night settings, so I don't have any pictires from tonight. However, the streets were crowded with people enjoying themselves and getting ready for the festivities tomorrow. Now we are getting ready for bed! We already have two invitations from friends and family for things to do tomorrow! Tschuess, and goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, Heather. MMMMmmmm Becky will love the pic of the "frik-en-dell-en". And the bienenstich looks delicious. Und ya alles seit sehr gemutlich aus.
    Your, Mama

    ReplyDelete